Bisphenol A (BPA) is still seen as a safe chemical by many, but France started 2015 by passing legislation that banned the use of packaging containing BPA that comes into direct contact with food. Many brand owners also want to make sure that their brand reputation is protected. Press coverage over recent years has centred on consumer concerns about BPA seeping into food or beverages, especially those for infants.
The range of BPA-free materials from Avery Dennison has led the market over the last two years, and we just added three new products to it. These new products come with direct-food-approved adhesive S2020N.
Label converters now have easy access to materials that can meet growing demand from end users, not only in France but across Europe and beyond.
Michael Gillespie, Product Manager Paper & VI, said that the expanded BPA-free range involved careful testing, and came about because of a wish to respond effectively to market demand: “These products have not been legally required anywhere up to now, although of course that has now changed with the introduction of legislation concerning the ban of BPA used in food packaging in France. However, Avery Dennison’s priority over the last couple of years has been to provide converters with choice, while also controlling costs. We have always wanted ‘going BPA-free’ to be a relatively effortless option for brand owners who needed to avoid adverse consumer reaction.”
Many large customers across Southern and Central Europe are now using the new range. Avery Dennison continues to lead the way with a wide choice of facestocks, and both permanent and removable adhesives. We were also first to launch a product with a PET23 liner.
BPA-free range – with bisphenol S (BPS) as a substitute for BPA
- AM282 - THERMAL 200LD BPA FREE S2000N-BG40BR
- AM187 - THERMAL 200LD BPA FREE S2045N-BG40BR
- AM281 - THERMAL 200LD BPA FREE R5000N-BG40BR
- AY249 - THERMAL 200LD BPA FREE FSC S2025N-PET23
- AY573 - THERMAL 200LD BPA FREE S2020N-BG30BR NEW
- AX865 - THERMAL 200LD BPA FREE S2020N-BG40BR NEW
- AZ350 - THERMAL 200HD PLUS FSC S2020N-BG40BR NEW
BP-free range – with no added BPA or BPS
- AZ880 - THERMAL 200LD BP FREE FSC S2000N-BG40BR
- AO396 - THERMAL 200LD BP FREE S2045N-BG40BR
- AS970 - THERMAL 200LD BP FREE R5000N-BG40BR
Phenol-free range – using no phenols at all during production and FSC®-certified
- AW571 - @THERMAL 200LD NP FSC S2045N-BG40BR
- AY294- @THERMAL 200LD NP FSC R5000N-BG40BR